After years and years of experimenting with (and perfecting!) my Irish beef stew recipe, I’ve found I have taken ZERO pictures of it. Which is probably why I’ve put off posting the recipe– because food photos are super important for a food blog, right?
Well, I’ve recently admitted that photography is not my strong suit. Making delicious, nourishing recipes is more my jam. So here’s a simple slow cooker beef stew recipe bare bones blog post. Maybe someday I’ll add pretty pictures. Maybe not 🙂
The best part about this recipe is that you can make Organic, Grass-Fed, Whole30, Paleo, Whatever. Or not! Sometimes I make it with all organic, grass-fed, paleo ingredients, blah blah blah. Sometimes I add a can of Guinness and whatever I have in the house and make it not-so-“clean”. It seriously delicious, hearty, and pretty dang healthy, any which way way. My husband is an Irish “meat and potatoes” guy and he loves it no matter how I make it. You can mix up the meat options, the veggie options, how thin or thick you like the broth. Try this recipe out a few times and see how you like it!
Beef Stew Recipe
- 2-3 lbs beef stew meat
Other meat options – you can do ground beef, lamb, bison, etc. instead of beef chunks. I’ve recently done a mixture of 1lb beef chunks and 1lb ground lamb — it actually turned out really well!
- 3-4 whole carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4-5 small russet potatoes (or potatoes of choice – russet will be the starchiest and lead to a thicker stew) roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Optional: 1-2 stalks of celery, finely diced
- Optional: 1-2 parsnips, peeled and finely diced
- 32 oz. beef bone broth (or other beef broth/stock of choice)
- Optional: 1 can of Guinness (if no beer desired, add another 8-10 oz. of beef bone broth)
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 3 tbsp. worcestershire sauce (can sub coconut aminos if Whole30)
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- Optional: 1 -2 tbsp. arrowroot starch (Can also use flour, beef gelatin, or cornstarch to thicken the stew)
- Chop all the veggies and set aside.
- Heat cast-iron or other large pan with beef tallow, olive oil, or other cooking fat.
- Once screaming hot, add beef chunks (or meat of choice) to the pan and brown on all sides. (These do not need to be cooked through.) Remove from heat.
- Add all chopped vegetables to slow cooker.
- Add all spices (besides the bay leaf) to the veggies and stir in.
- Add broth, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, and Guinness (optional), to slow cooker and stir.
- Add meat to the slow cooker and stir in gently.
- Place bay leaf in the broth.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove bay leaf from crockpot.
- Optional: Stir in 1/2 – 1 tbsp. of arrowroot powder. Add slowly until desired consistency is reached. You do not want to add too much as it may add a new “taste” to the stew.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, warm fresh bread, over cauliflower rice, or on it’s own. Enjoy!