I realized today I have been cooking and meal prepping SO much lately, and forgetting to share these easy, delicious, nutritious recipes with all of you. So, I’m sorry. And here’s a REALLY good one to make up for it.
Last week was very dreary, cloudy, and cooler… and definitely starting to feel like “fall”. Everyone’s been obsessing over their PSLs (pumpkin spiced lattes), but I would never drink one of those…so I’ll make my own delicious pumpkin treats! Chili sounded like a great thing to make a big batch of and have in the fridge ready for dinners and lunches for the week.
And bison was on sale at Whole Foods, so I decided to make that for this chili. However any ground meat would work! Bison has a great flavor that compliments the pumpkin, though, so if you get a chance to grab some, I’d highly recommend it! Plus, it’s always good to rotate your meat sources, since it gives you a variety of nutrient profiles.
If bison seems too “out there”, Butcher Box has the best high-quality meat! I get boxes delivered to my doorstep bi-monthly. Since organic, grass-fed, grass-finished beef products are the most nutrient-dense, it’s definitely something I like to stock up on and have in my freezer at all times! They also have great chicken, pork, bacon, and other amazing meats. I highly recommend checking out their (flexible!) options. Not to mention, they often run free add-on meats for life promos! I now get FREE BACON. FOR LIFE. (right now it’s grassfed ground beef!) Jealous?
As always, most of the staples in my pantry come from Thrive Market, so I recommend stocking up on your tomato products, spices, canned pumpkin, and other kitchen items from them!
This only took about 30 minutes to put together, but you can let it simmer for even longer if you want to really let that flavor sink in.
PUMPKIN BISON CHILI
- 2 lb ground bison (or 1lb bison & 1lb grassfed beef – or 2 lb ground meat of choice!)
- 2 medium sized onions, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ancho chili powder
- 1 tbsp chipotle chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked sea salt (or regular salt, but the smoky flavor here is SO GOOD!)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cans of tomato sauce
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 can pumpkin
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 cans of black beans – or other bean of choice (optional, omit for Whole30 – I do not add these personally)
- Heat a large cast iron (or regular) pot medium/high with small drizzle avocado oil
- Add onions and garlic to pan for 1-2 minutes
- Add ground meat and cook until brown
- Add about half of the spices to the pot and stir
- Add 2 cans of tomato sauce and 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- Add the remainder of the spices
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 5-10 minutes
- Stir in canned pumpkin
- Add more spices (if desired)
- Let simmer for 10-20 more minutes (or more)