This may be one of my greatest recipe ideas…ever. I had seen the concept for a “dessert” hummus, and then thought about what ingredients that would consist of. I thought of a “regular” hummus recipe. Chickpeas, naturally. Then what? An oil, a creamy spread, some kind of liquid, and some flavoring. Couldn’t be too hard, right?
I looked in my pantry and just started throwing things together. Somehow, It turned in to a Girl Scout cookie lover’s dream.
….If that Girl Scout cookie lover also loves dairy-free, gluten-free, sugar-free desserts 🙂
MINT. CHOCOLATE. DESSERT. HUMMUS.
I teased this on my Instagram a few weeks ago – my apologies for the delay! Between tweaking, actually measuring the ingredients I used, and having my fur-baby go to the animal hospital last week, it took a while to finally put the finishing touches on this recipe to share it with the world.
A few hints:
1. Don’t blend medjool dates that aren’t pitted (lesson learned!)
2. You can use ALL cacao powder, but it won’t be quite as “chocolate-y”. Or, you can use all cocoa, but you’ll lose the superfood benefits and antioxidant properties from the cacao. Your choice!
3. You can use tahini, or any other nut/seed spread you prefer.
4. You can blend in melted chocolate for a richer flavor. I added 1/2 bar of Green & Black 85% dark my first try making this. However, once it goes in the fridge, it will harden up a bit and be more like a “fudge” consistency.
5. Don’t make this and leave it in your fridge if you’re the only one eating it. It will disappear too quickly for comfort 🙂
6. I found ALL of the ingredients I used in this recipe (besides the regular cocoa powder) at Thrive Market. They were all organic, non-GMO, and well-sourced, like all of their products! If you shop for well-sourced staples like these, Thrive is the perfect option for you! They have a great selection on pantry staples, snack foods, baking supplies, and more. And, you can get 15% off your first order at Thrive if you click here.
MINT CHOCOLATE DESSERT HUMMUS RECIPE
2-3 pitted Medjool Dates
10 ounces Chickpeas, rinsed
2 TBSP Coconut Oil
1/2 Cup Coconut Milk (full fat, from the can!)
1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
2 TBSP Cacao Powder
2 TBSP Roasted Almond Butter
1-2 tsp organic Peppermint Oil (depending on how strong of a flavor you prefer)
1. Boil 1 cup of water and add the pitted dates to the mixture, let sit for 10-15 minutes
2. Once softened, remove dates from the water and add to food processor or a high speed blender
3. Add almond butter, coconut milk, coconut oil, peppermint oil, almond butter, cocoa & cacao powder and blend until full mixed
4. Add chickpeas to the mixture and blend until smooth( add water 1 tbsp at a time if the mixture is too thick)
4. Mix in chocolate chips and garnish with fresh mint leaves for extra deliciousness. Serve with fresh fruit, graham crackers, pretzels, actual thin mints, and on toast! And if you have any other ideas to serve this with, let me know!