If you ever want your house to smell amazing and have a delicious additive on hand to create MANY different recipes, just roast a head of garlic.
It brings out a great, sweet, flavorful profile to your standard garlic, and is so easy to make.
Never done it before? It’s simple – take a whole head of garlic. Cut off the “pointy” end and peel off the whispy layers (feel free to leave the rest). Drizzle on oil of your choice, add some salt & pepper, wrap in foil, and toss it in your oven (or even your toaster oven). I set it to 450 degrees and leave it in there until it starts to smell good + 10 extra minutes. It’s usually around 45 minutes to an hour total.
If you cook it for just the right amount of time, you can literally squeeze out the cloves- they essentially turn into a “garlic paste” that you can add to so many recipes, or eat as a stand alone spread!
…But back to this hummus. The roasted garlic is KEY to adding so much flavor to your standard hummus recipe.
And once the garlic is done roasting, it is just so quick and simple to make. And goes with everything. I’ve already had it with vegetables, on a sprouted brown rice cake from Thrive Market, and with my homemade tortilla chips.
And as an added bonus, it’s also good for you. I love making my own recipes because then I know exactly what’s in it – no preservatives, no additives, and most importantly, no poorly-sourced ingredients. I used organic chickpeas and tahini, pure olive oil and lemon juice, and a high quality celtic sea salt.
Other health benefits:
Garlic – It’s a prebiotic! Which means it feeds the probiotics in your gut #becauseguthealth
Rosemary – Dean Karnazes considers it a superfood for runners, so in my book, it’s a miracle herb. He adds it to his coffee, but I’ll keep it to my savory dishes and snacks 🙂
Tahini & Olive Oil – Your body NEEDS good quality fats. These are two great sources.
ROASTED GARLIC HUMMUS RECIPE:
- 1-2 head(s) roasted garlic
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp fresh rosemary minced
- 2 – 3 Tbsp water
- Add chick peas, lemon juice, tahini paste, salt, cumin and rosemary to food processor and pulse for about 1 minute.
- Scrape down sides and bottom of food processor and add the roasted garlic. Pulse until combined.
- While the food processor is on, drizzle in the olive oil and 2-3 Tbsp water. Blend until desired smoothness is reached.
- Garnish with additional garlic, spices, or olive oil and serve! You can store for up to a week in your refrigerator…if it lasts that long 🙂